Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My college life @svce....

Chapter 1@svce:
It all started in August, 2006. After much dilly dally about the right choice of college to do my bachelor's, I selected Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering, Pennalur, Sriperumbudur. I was compelled by my family to join here. Hence, my journey aboard the wagon of SVCE starts half-heartedly. The first day I took the college bus route #3 to college. I attended the college orientation session held in front of the administrative building. After all those boring lectures, I was asked to go to ED-102. I didn't know where it was, so I had to ask a Faculty and at last I found m way to the first floor of the Engineering Drawing Hall. As I entered the Hall, I saw a friend with whom I used to write my Fiitjee exams. I couldn't recollect his name instantaneously, but later I came to know his name was Sabari Shyam.

We were given an introduction by our faculty advisors/class counsellors ( Sarala mam and Yamini Devi mam) about the "greatness" of SVCE, general "rules and discipline" to be maintained, the "importance" of CAT ( Continuous Assessment Test), and that we should do our "home-works" and "assignments" regularly. Then we were taken around the college. They showed us the similarly looking different department buildings, library, canteen, swimming pool, etc. I was amazed by the college infrastructure and facilities.

The second day of college, the curriculum (syllabus) for each course was given in class. The staff went ahead and started lecturing. Many of them were very particular that we have different notebooks for each subject like in school. I took notes like an innocent lamb ready to get sacrified yet told by the butcher that there's better life after death. As innocent was the lamb, so was I. However, I maintained only 2/3 notebooks unlike many others who brought one for each. The teaching went rigorously atleast for a month with regular homeworks and surprise tests.

I remember writing a surprise test conducted by our physics sir on reverberation time and its derivation. I was happy, I did the test well. He taught us the basics of physics in a simply astounding fashion. One used to ask him "sir, how is this or how is that phenomenon possible?", he used to answer the way scholars do. He encouraged us to get Nobel Prize in Physics though he narrowly missed one on superconductivity. He missed his Nobel laurel when his experiment showed zero resistance at room temperature, but to his dismay he found that the power was off and hence the zero resistance. So were his lectures very motivating, intellectual and very truly acted as morale boosters.

No comments:

Post a Comment